Paradisos del Sol Recipes
Chocolate Chipotle Turkey Chili with Molé Sauce
(or Chocolat Chipotle Chili con Pavo y Molé)
(or Tchoxatl Tchopotle Chili con Hueyxolotl y Molli)
List of Ingredients:
Hindquarters of 2 turkeys
Slow cooked on the barby nice and smoky then boil it in 2 bottles of vino and 1 ˝ gallons water. Skin and bones discarded, meat chopped and saved, broth saved.
Brown 4-5 pounds ground turkey
3 oz dried ancho/pasilla chiles (6-8 chiles)
3 oz dried New Mexican chiles (6-8 chiles)
The chiles should be fresh and pliable, not dry and hard
Baked in 350 degree oven for 6 minutes
Remove stem and seeds and pulverize in blender
Use 5 oz chili powder
In large skillet cook 1 ˝ pounds yellow onion at low heat 8-10 minutes, low sizzle.
Toast and grind:
2 Tbl whole coriander
2 Tbl whole cumin
Add to chili powder
Add powder and spices to onion
Raise heat to medium high
Stir constantly 2-3 minute to uniformly heat spice
In your large pot, heat the 1 ˝ to 2 gallons broth to low boil.
1. The onions and heated chile mixture
2. 1 Tbl oregano (dry crumb)
3. The turkey meat
4. 32 oz canned tomato
5. 2 lbs Hershey unsweetened baker’s chocolate (the closest thing I find at the market to “just chocolate”)
6. ˝ cup Masa (the thickener, buy a bag, you want this to make fresh homemade tortillas for the chili, it’s fun and easy!)
7. 2 tsps powdered Chipotle (make it yourself or order it from Kevin’s Jellybean Store, SASE with $1 to Kevin/Chipotle, 3230 Highland Dr, Zillah, WA 98953)
8. Salt to taste (2 tsp)
9. Optional: add ˝ jar (8 oz) of commercial molé sauce
Yield is about 3 gallons! Simmer a few hours then for best results, serve the day after assembly with freshly made tortillas and a pot of beans.
It freezes fine. You may want to add more masa to get the thickness back. It’s best to simmer 4-5 hours after thawing. Hey, this is where crock pots shine!
It really is pretty simple – made by peasants with stone-age tools and open fires for millennia.
Really easy with a bag o’ masa and a 400 degree pancake grill.
Add water to the mix per directions.
Roll a ball into a flat.
90 seconds on each side
Boom – a tortilla!
Total time when ya get it down about 6 minutes for the first tortilla then ya crank out one every 60 seconds.
Fun to do at a casual party.
Now, if you take all the time to make this, don’t screw it up by having “a nice Merlot.” SANGIOVESE ! ! ! THAT’S THE WINE!
We, of course, created this recipe specifically for our Paradisos Red.
Paradisos del Sol